It's officially fall (though the weather hasn't quite gotten that memo yet)! Is your home fall-ready? If not, here are a few quick things you should do to prepare for the start of cooler weather & shorter days to keep your home in tip-top shape and your family safe.
1. Clean your chimney – You'll likely be using your fireplace a lot more as the weather cools off, so schedule a chimney cleaning now to avoid chimney fires!
2. Check the furnace/boiler – Whichever you have, you should have it checked to make sure it's working properly. Also, if you have a furnace remember to change the filters regularly throughout fall and winter. It will keep energy costs down!
3. Gutters – If your gutters are clogged, it can lead to damaged exterior surfaces and water in your basement. No one wants that! Have them cleaned before the leaves truly start falling.
4. Driveways/Outside paths – Damaged steps, driveways, walkways, etc. are hazardous all year but the danger is worse when ice starts to form. Fixing such damage in the fall will not only keep you and the family safe, but it will keep small problems from turning into HUGE ones. What to look out for? Cracks more than 1/8-in. wide, uneven sections, loose railings on steps, and disintegration of asphalt are all issues of which to be wary.
5. Clean your dryer vents – Fall is a great time to go ahead and have your dryer vent inspection & cleaning. Doing this will identify any fire, safety, or health hazards that are present due to obstructions, improper vent construction, or non-code compliant materials. Prevent dryer fires this fall!
It doesn't take much to get your house prepared for the cold, rain, and eventual snow & ice! A little bit of hard work (or hiring someone else to do that work ;)), then you'll be able to sit back and relax safe in the knowledge that your home is as fall-ready as possible.
We're the experts for professional NY Metro Dryer Vent Cleaning & repair! Give us a call at 845-637-2070 so NY Metro Dryer Vent Wizard can help you save energy, time, and money. Some of the towns we service include: Nanuet NY, Goshen NY, Newburg NY, New City NY, Middletown NY, and the surrounding NY Metro areas!