Fire Prevention Week falls on October 9–15 this year, but the entire month of October is dedicated to fire safety. Each year has a different theme, with this year’s being “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape.” It’s a good reminder to think about your escape plan in the case of fire. When’s the last time you updated it and went over it with your family?
If the worst happens and a fire happens, swiftness and preparation are key. A matter of seconds is all it takes for a tragedy to occur. So, if you haven’t thought about your escape plan lately, it’s time to change that. So, dust off that old, outdated plan and give it a refresh with these tips.
• Make a map of your home and mark two ways out of every room in the house (doors and windows included).
• If someone in your family will need assistance in getting out, such as a small child or elderly member, decide who will be helping them.
• Ensure that all windows and doors open easily.
• Make sure escape routes are cleared of clutter to prevent falls.
• Decide up on a meeting place outside your home for when everyone is out.
• Be sure everyone in the family, including children, know how to call 911.
• Test the smoke alarms in your home to ensure they are properly working.
• Finally, practice your escape plan regularly so if you need it, it goes off without a hitch!
If you want more ideas and tips on preparing your fire safety escape plan, check out the National Fire Protection Association’s website. There you’ll find information and tips on not only escape plans in case of fire, but also fire protection in general. Take a look and ensure your family is safe in case of fire!
We're the experts for professional Northern NJ Dryer Vent Cleaning & repair! Give us a call at 201-345-0055 so Northern NJ Dryer Vent Wizard can help you save energy, time, and money. Some of the towns we service include: Bergen County, NJ Essex County, NJ Passaic County, NJ Morris County, NJ Ramsey, NJ and the surrounding NY Metro areas!