June is National Safety Month, a time to focus on how you can identify dangers in your home and make the space around you safer for you and your family. One of the best ways to ensure your family’s safety this month is by putting together or updating your fire safety plan. This plan lets everyone in the family know exactly how to escape the home in case of a fire.
Need some tips on how to come up with a great safety plan? Here are a few to get you started!
• Go through your home and look for all possible exits or ways to escape. If you have kids, it’s helpful to draw out a floor plan and mark at least two exits from every room (such as windows and doors).
• Install smoke alarms in every bedroom and on each level of your home.
• Choose a meeting place outside the home that is a safe distance away where your family will meet after escaping a fire.
• Make sure your house’s number is visible outside, so it’s easily spotted by firemen.
• If you have infants, small children, seniors, or people with mobility issues in your family, assign a partner to help them out in the case of fire.
• Do a fire drill with your family twice a year.
• If you have a second floor, place escape ladders in each room so people can escape the second floor through the windows if necessary.
• Ensure your escape routes are clear of any items that could slow you down or are blocking the exits.
Finally, an excellent way to make your home safer is to have your dryer vents cleaned yearly! Dryer fires are one of the leading causes of home fires, so prevent a disaster before it begins by having your vents professionally cleaned.
We're the experts for professional Northern NJ Dryer Vent Cleaning & repair! Give us a call at 201-345-0055 so Northern NJ Dryer Vent Wizard can help you save energy, time, and money. Some of the towns we service include: Bergen County, NJ Essex County, NJ Passaic County, NJ Morris County, NJ Ramsey, NJ and the surrounding NY Metro areas!