What Fire Dangers are Lurking in Your Home?

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fire departments in the United States respond to a fire every 88 seconds. That’s a lot of fires happening every day! There are fire dangers in your home that are obvious (cooking fires, having a fireplace going when you aren’t there), but did you know there are hidden fire dangers in your home you may not be aware of? These tiny, overlooked things can lead to disaster if you aren’t careful, so here are a few of these hidden dangers of which you should be aware.
Cooking fires are a significant obvious fire danger, but did you know that dirty stoves can be just as bad? If a stove is covered with grease or flammable grime, it could start a fire, and while that fire may start small, it can quickly grow (particularly if there are flammable items around the stove). So, be sure to keep your stove clean!
You might’ve heard a lot of news in the past year or so about lithium-ion battery fires, especially in regards to the waste industry. But did you know that all batteries pose a fire risk? 9-volts in particular are one of the biggest culprits, other than lithium-ion batteries. Because the terminals on 9-volt batteries are so close together, it’s easier for them to short out. You can avoid this happening by storing batteries properly, by either keeping them in their original packaging, placing them in a battery case, or storing them upright with electrical tape over the ends. Also, never store batteries near metal items, such as loose keys!
Coffee is a must for many, but did you know your coffee pot could be a hidden fire danger? Depending on the type of coffee pot you use, it could overheat and start a fire (especially those with plastic parts). So, don’t leave your coffee pot unattended!
Is the water heat in your home a gas one? Is it placed close to your washer and dryer? Then, don’t pile clothing too close to it! Doing this could ignite a fire (in fact, appliances such as this are responsible for 7% of home fires and 4% of deaths).
If you’re the handyman type with a lot of tools and wood laying around, this one could apply to you. You might not think about it, but sawdust is highly combustible! Leaving piles of it next to chemicals or wiring that could spark could create a fire, so always sweep up sawdust that’s laying around!
Many people collect antiques, which aren’t something you’d necessarily associate with home fires. However, if you have an antique item that involves wiring, that wiring could be faulty due to how old it is. Be sure to check the wiring of any antique object and replace it if needed!
This hidden home fire danger is a bit more obvious, but it’s still one many don’t think about often. Damaged electrical equipment can easily overheat, leading to a fire. You’d think a frayed electric cord would be highly noticeable, but too many of us don’t pay attention to small things like that, especially if they’re hidden behind the sofa or beneath the bed. So, check electrical equipment often for any damage.
Ever noticed your laptop getting extremely hot when it’s been in use for awhile? Believe it or not, it can get hot enough to catch fire if you aren’t careful. Put that hot surface down on something like paper or a blanket and disaster could strike, so always keep your computer on a hard surface and try to avoid letting it overheat too much.
Last, but not least, remember that your dryer vent can also cause a fire in your home if it’s not properly cleaned. Schedule your professional dryer vent cleaning at least once per year. Our Wizards are professionals, equipped with the right tools and expertise who can clear your dryer vent in no time.

We're the experts for professional Northern NJ Dryer Vent Cleaning & repair! Give us a call at 201-389-2597 so Northern NJ Dryer Vent Wizard can help you save energy, time, and money. Some of the areas we service include: Englewood, NJ , Bergenfield, NJ, Paramus, NJ, Hackensack, NJ, Bloomfield, NJ, Passaic County, Essex county, and Morris County.

Angie's List Badge